Sterling Holloway - Voice of Winnie the Pooh

Sterling Holloway was a popular American character actor of amusing appearance and voice whose long career led from dozens of highly enjoyable on-screen performances to world-wide familiarity as the voice of numerous Walt Disney animated films. Born in the American Deep South to grocer Sterling P. Holloway Sr. and Rebecca Boothby Holloway, he had a younger brother, Boothby. Holloway spent his early years as an actor playing comic juveniles on the stage. His bushy reddish-blond hair and trademark near-falsetto voice made him a natural for sound pictures, and he acted in scores of talkies, although he had made his picture debut in silents. His physical image and voice relegated him almost exclusively to comic roles, but in 1945, director Lewis Milestone cast him more or less against type in the classic war film A Walk in the Sun (1945), where Holloway's portrayal of a reluctant soldier was quite notable. He played frequently on television, becoming familiar to baby-boomers in a recurring role as Uncle Oscar on Adventures of Superman (1952), and later in television series of his own. His later work as the voice of numerous characters in Disney cartoons brought him new audiences and many fans, especially for his voicing of beloved Winnie the Pooh. He died in 1992.

Information courtesy of IMDb Mini Biography, by Jim Beaver

Ivy Ledbetter Lee - "Father" of Public Relations

Ivy Ledbetter Lee, (born July 16, 1877, Cedartown, Ga.—died Nov. 9, 1934, New York, N.Y.), American pioneer of 20th-century public-relations methods, who persuaded various business clients to woo public opinion.

A graduate of Princeton University, Lee worked as a newspaper reporter in New York City from 1899 to 1903, when he joined the staff of the Citizens’ Union. In 1906 he became press representative for a group of coal miners, and in 1912 he began representing the Pennsylvania Railroad Company. Because of his success in improving the public image of his clients, his services were sought by major companies. By 1917 he had acquired a string of powerful clients, including the Rockefeller interests. Lee’s greatest innovation was his frank, open policy toward the press; he not only answered reporters’ queries but also notified the press of newsworthy developments within the companies he represented.

Ida Cox - Uncrowned "Queen" of Jazz

Ida Cox sang in church choirs as a child in Georgia and grew up in Cedartown. She ran away from home in 1910 when she was a teenager and performed in minstrel and tent shows as a comedienne and singer. Sometime during this period she married a performer minstriel named Alder Cox. Ida worked her why into vaudeville and eventually became a headliner. She toured the country throughout the Teens and 1920s sometimes singing with Jazz greats like Jelly Roll Morton and with King Oliver at the Plantation Cafe in Chicago. In 1923 she began her recording contract with the Paramount label, who billed her as the Uncrowned Queen of the Blues. She recorded extensively throughout the 1920s often using pseudonyms such as Kate Lewis, Velma Bradley, Julia Powers and Jane Smith. Cox wrote many of her own songs, and had several of her own touring companies such as Raisin' Cain and Darktown Scandals which criss-crossed the country during the late 1920s and early 1930s.

The Classic Blues singers of the 1920s Cox continued to perform and occasionally record during the Depression. She was married to Blues pianist Jesse Crump during the 1920s and 1930s. They recorded together often for Paramount. In 1934 Cox and Bessie Smith appeared together in the musical revue Fan Waves at the Apollo Theatre. She spent most of the rest of the decade on the road until 1939 when she performed regularly at the Cafe Society night club in New York City. She also appeared in John Hammond's Spirituals to Swing concert at Carnegie Hall in 1939. which briefly revitaled her recording career. She released records under the name of Ida Cox and her Allstar Band and Ida Cox and her Allstar Orchestra during this time period. In the mid 1940's she had a stroke and passed out during a performance in New York. She left show business and moved to Knoxville, Tennessee where she lived with her daughter. Some time in the 1950s she began performing again sporadically. In 1961, Cox recorded for the last time on the Riverside label. The album was called "Blues for Rampart Street". She was accompanied by the Coleman Hawkins Quintet on this record. She died of cancer in 1967.